Death of a Save-A-Lot, and Some Other Stuff in the Phoenixville/Pottstown Area

 Save-A-Lot, Pottstown, PA
This part of the shopping center was built in 2012 on an old industrial property, set back a little ways from the main road. It sat totally vacant until Save-A-Lot opened in 2013. At the time of their closure in mid-2017, they were still the center's only tenant. The building sits vacant currently, about 2/3 of it never used. Being totally honest here, I had no idea this place was closing when I came over. I figured I haven't documented a SAL here before, there's one fairly close to me in Pottstown, how about I head over there? Let's be glad that thought didn't come to mind two weeks later.
 The store was overall still pretty well stocked for it's last two weeks. I actually didn't even pick up on the fact that it was closing until about midway through my trip. I just assumed all the sales were part of it being a discount grocer (again, this was my first time here so I didn't know what to expect).
 Since Save-A-Lot was owned by SuperValu at the time, they used a very similar décor to the one ACME had under their ownership. The color scheme was the only key difference.
 I'm kinda curious why they went with warehouse shelving here since it was only about the height of a normal supermarket shelf. Isn't the point of this kind of shelf that you can build them higher than other kinds?
 I see one empty shelf section, aside from that there are no other clues the store is winding down.
 I think they must have put in offices over the frozen department, I'm not sure why else the ceiling would be lower.
 Looking towards the front of the store along the same side.
 No actual bakery here, just bags of pre-baked stuff.
 The few closing signs they had spelled April wrong.
 The rest of the center next to SAL. The plywood walls aren't covering anything, not even windows. Up until more recently there was nothing stopping people from walking into the void here. I guess they were planning on outfitting all this as things opened.
 RadioShack/Sprint, Pottstown, PA
This originally opened as just a RadioShack, which cobranded with Sprint in 2015. This is one of the few locations they bothered to replace the actual sign on, even though it didn't happen until a little while after the merger. Both closed in early 2017, although Sprint reopened in the same space later that year. I think this picture was from the Friday after they closed.
 Foresta's Market, Phoenixville, PA
This is a local Polish market with an incredible butcher. They moved into this location sometime prior to 1974. The middle part with the pitched roof was the extent of the original store. Sometime shortly after 74, the area to the left was added. The part to the right was even more recent.
 I don't think this store's ever been remodeled, which I love about it.
 I really like the dark wood paneling used throughout the market.
 I've been trying to figure out who's truck that was originally. It looks so familiar it's driving me crazy. The colors make me want to say A&P maybe? Anybody recognize the tagline?
 Burger King, Phoenixville, PA
One of the 5 (if I counted right: this, Spring City, Coatesville, Westtown, and West Chester) Burger King's left in Chester County. This is also the only one I've eaten at in close to a decade. I think it originally opened in the 80's and was last redone in the 90's.
 Phoenix Lanes, Phoenixville, PA
This closed as a bowling alley in 2015 I think, even though it looked abandoned long before then. It is currently operating as some sort of Hispanic Evangelical church.
 Harpoon Louie's, Spring City, PA
I think this restaurant first opened in the mid-90's and closed around 2011. The building is still vacant and for sale. I'm hoping somebody moves in, I love how the building looks and I'd hate to see it fall apart.
 Water World, Spring City, PA
Water World opened here in 1957 if I remember their ads correctly. They shut down rather abruptly in 2014, which was a sad surprise for me. I used to come here pretty often as a kid. As of 2018, the property's still abandoned and only getting more overgrown.
 Mansion, Limerick, PA
This was operating as a bed & breakfast for a while, but the sign's gone now. The building still looks well-maintained, so I'm assuming somebody's living there. I generally try to avoid posting places where people are currently living, but I figure I can make an exception as this was a place of business at one point in recent history.
 Wawa, North Coventry, PA
This opened in 2003 I believe, on the site of an old motel. Half the motel site is still undeveloped, all that's left is an overgrown parking lot. This Wawa, on the other hand, is much more lively. I believe it was rated top store in the chain for customer service three different years.
Arco/Boat Dealer, North Coventry, PA
I'm not sure when this stopped being a gas station, but the boat dealership next door was using it for overflow parking for as long as I can remember. The dealership moved down the road in late 2017. The buildings on the property were all demolished, making me think something was going to happen. As of mid-2019, it is still empty.

Comments

  1. That trailer with the "All the best, All for you" tagline was originally a ShurFine trailer. See here for an example: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/winross-shur-foods-best-awi-truck-149613796

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I never would have guessed ShurFine.

      Delete
  2. Good timing indeed with that Save-a-Lot visit! That's unfortunate about the misspelling of April, though (guess they were just trying to add an extra syllable in there :P ). And strange story about the rest of that "shopping center," too...

    I was about to say I got nothing' regarding that trailer - glad AFB was able to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Stuff You Like:

Indoor Tour

Hey My Backlog's Exactly 3 Years Now!

Back in the Homeland