Forgotten Eckerd, Burlington, NJ

For the third and final installment of Journey to the Land of the Coat Factory, we'll be taking an in-depth look at the former Eckerd. 
This store originally opened around 2000. When Rite Aid bought the chain, they didn't take this store due to its proximity to the existing Rite Aid we saw yesterday. As I mentioned, this store looks a lot better and is over 5 years newer than the existing Rite Aid. At this point, this store has been vacant for almost twice as long as it was occupied.
It also has the red square we saw on the Howard Johnson's yesterday. I couldn't find any specific information on Burlington's use of these, but it seems several municipalities tag dangerous vacant buildings with red to warn firefighters of structural deficiencies should there be an emergency. That would make sense here since I've only seen them on vacant buildings here, but this place didn't look like it was in any danger of collapse. In fact, the inside was in nearly pristine condition.
Looking right from the entrance, towards the former drive-thru pharmacy.
Inside, just about everything has been stripped out. In the locations they bought, Rite Aid didn't change up everything too much, but they usually got new flooring and had the walls repainted.
I believe this was either the former photo department or JCPenney Catalog Center in front here.
Looking in one of the side windows across the front of the store. For the record, these windows are incredibly high up so I didn't get to actually see inside for myself. I had to hold the camera up over my head.
Former Drive-thru portal.
There was no actual window here, just the machine. I thought that was a little weird. I also found it strange they'd leave this here when just about every other store fixture was removed, unless maybe it was already broken before they closed. I also noticed one of the lights is still on, which if I remember correctly would have been the only one on in the entire building.
This is perhaps the coolest part of the store! The old roadside pylon signage was painted over after the store closed, but over the years the paint has started to wear off. It's now just about totally legible, except for the Pharmacy part, which was probably painted over before the rest of it. I have a feeling that's also what happened to the 'X' under the R in their logo. The address listed as the relocation is for the Rite Aid.
One of the delivery doors, which lost its awning at some point.
Looking up the side of the store opposite the drive-thru...
...which has a door labeled Drive-thru despite its location. This would explain why there's no window, if everything had to be piped across the entire store. Now the question is why wouldn't they just put the drive-thru on this side of the store in the first place?
Busted light over the Drive-thru door. I'm impressed the bulb isn't broken.
Drive-thru arrow sign, which was also painted over. The paint hasn't faded here nearly as much as it did on the pylon. Thankfully, Rite Aid kept them on most of the stores they inherited so I'm not missing out on anything too special.
Looking back in through the front, along the other side. I believe this is the wall the food department would have gone along and beauty supplies would have been on the opposite. The pharmacy's on the opposite side of its usual location.
I think those wooden strips towards the top of the wall were to hold the décor originally.

I was originally planning on just putting in some Sinatra for today's recommendations (as a third famous Jerseyan for this series of posts), but I accidentally clicked on this in my recommended feed. It's one of my favorites so I feel like I have to include it too.
And the song I was originally planning:

Comments

  1. To explain that red square thing, that means the building is abandoned but structurally sound as of the last inspection. This article explains the system more: https://www.firehouse.com/safety-health/article/10463134/vacant-and-abandoned-building-marking-systems

    Yeah, I know how tricky it is to photograph the interior of these old Eckerd stores. When I photographed the long abandoned Sebastian location, I had to dangle from the window ledge to get my phone up high enough to press against the windows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense, thanks for the link! It's interesting they consider this building abandoned instead of vacant.


      I really should bring a chair or step ladder next time I visit one of these.

      Delete
  2. Cool find with that virtually uncovered road sign, and nice shot of it, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

The Stuff You Like:

Indoor Tour

Hey My Backlog's Exactly 3 Years Now!

Back in the Homeland