Gingerbread Castle and Wheatsworth Furnace, 2016 Halloween Post

Located in Hamburg, NJ
 Road sign, with a painting of the castle in happier times.
Later today I hope to get pictures of the abandoned factory on the property up, but that will all depend on my luck converting the files over to something Flickr will accept.
 Halloween cat on the roof!
 This place is referred to mainly as the Gingerbread Castle, even though the sign reads otherwise.
 Humpty Dumpty hasn't fallen off the wall yet, but he isn't looking too hot, either.

 Carved falcons in the beams didn't make this place feel any more welcoming!


One final picture before I sign off for the night.
Happy Halloween!
 Tower detailing. It looked like the entire building was made out of stone and concrete.
 I felt so uncomfortable here. Something about the whimsical design decaying just made for a creepy feeling. This is like something out of a Tim Burton movie.
 Sorry for the delay, it took me a while to get these pictures to a point where Flickr would let me put them up. They weren't taken with my usual camera. This was originally built in 1928 as a children's attraction, which operated up until the late 80's. After that closed, it was used as a Halloween attraction for a couple of years until a fire in the late 90's shut it down for good. It currently sits abandoned, although some efforts are being made to ensure this doesn't fall completely down.
 Turret
 I think this was where admissions tickets were sold.
 Staircase leading up to the main entrance.
 The door was kicked in by somebody. I think the area damaged by the fire included the room seen in back here. You can see a video tour of this place here.
 This was about as far inside as I was willing to go at the time. I was a little afraid some hobo was living inside. If I ever get back up here, I will definitely come better prepared to explore some more.
 I don't know why this place was so tall. They had plenty of room to build.
 From what I can see through the windows, this looks like a wood-frame building despite the concrete exterior.
 Walkway between parts of the factory.
 Looks like the roof is mostly gone here.
 Cornerstone on the 1808 portion of the building.
 Tile entrance sign. I wonder if they ever did tours of this place. This looks a little too artsy for a factory.

 I think the main entrance may have been over here.
 Entryway in the oldest part of the structure.

 A quick history of the factory. It finished out its life as another iron works.


 The front is surprisingly fancy for a factory.


 It looks like that garage door has been boarded up at least 5 different times.
 Another former fire escape.




 Fire escape is missing a ladder. It was probably intentionally removed to keep people out.
 Break-ins must have been a problem here. That fence looks pretty new.
 Murky creek running under the furnace. This must have powered the mill.
I got the pictures straightened out, so now we will be heading across the driveway to the former Wheatsworth Furnace.

Comments

The Stuff You Like:

Indoor Tour

Hey My Backlog's Exactly 3 Years Now!

Back in the Homeland